Creative Reuse relies on an amazing team of committed volunteers to accomplish our mission. We wouldn’t be here without you!
Volunteers starting at age 10 can help in our shop accompanied by a parent. Anyone aged 16-18 can volunteer independently in the shop with the permission of a parent or guardian.
If you’d like to inspire creativity, conservation, and community engagement through reuse, please fill out one of the application forms below.
- Discount: Get 50% off bulk bags and 20% off everything else in the shop!
- Support Creativity and Reuse: Help us divert useful materials from the landfills
- Meet Cool People: Meet other creatively-minded folks and build connections with your community.
- Pizza: Enjoy appreciation parties in our shop!
- Donation Volunteer: Help us keep the Creative Reuse retail shop organized and awesome by measuring fabric, packaging small materials, sorting buttons and beads, reorganizing books and magazines, and more. Volunteer shifts are usually weekdays between the hours of 11 am and 5:30 pm. Shifts are a minimum of 2 hours long. The latest volunteer shift begins at 3:30 pm. Not able to come in at those times? Email the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to check about Sunday availability or consider another volunteer role! Click here for the Donation Volunteer Application!
- **NEW!** Volunteer Shop Assistant (VSA): This position is for established Donation Volunteers only. VSAs help out in the Creative Reuse retail shop by accepting donations, assisting customers, operating the register, and more! Make new connections within the community and work in a creative and inspiring environment. A personal commitment of either one 4-hour weekly shift for 6 months or two 4-hour shifts per month for a year is required. There are two shifts available: 10:30 am-2:30 pm or 2:30 pm to 6:30 pm. If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer Shop Assistant, please fill out our Donation Volunteer application and indicate that you would consider taking on the VSA role! Click here to view the full position description.
- Creative Education Volunteer: Help facilitate hands-on educational programs by welcoming and orienting participants, keeping tools and materials organized, inspiring participants, making examples, helping participants create one-of-a-kind masterpieces, and more. Click here for the Creative Education Volunteer Application!
- Community Ambassadors: Support and represent Creative Reuse by posting about us on social media, putting up flyers for events, and telling your friends and family about who we are and what we do. You don’t need to fill out an application for this position! Just help spread the word!
- Internships: We also have several internships available for folks who are interested in a longer-term, more project-based commitment. We’re always looking for students seeking course credit or anyone with specific skills interested in supporting Creative Reuse. Click here for a listing of our current internships.
- Groups of Volunteers: Unfortunately due to space and staff limitations, we can no longer host groups of volunteers in our shop or warehouse except during special events. If you have a group of volunteers (age 16+) interested in volunteering at our next special event, fill out the group application (click here!). Our Volunteer Coordinator will send you emails periodically about upcoming events as they are announced.
What to Expect
After you’ve filled out your application, our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to schedule a volunteer orientation. You will be given an in-depth shop tour, learn about your volunteer position, and schedule any future shifts. Volunteer Shop Assistant applicants will also go through a short and casual interview process. All orientations and interviews are held at our retail store.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call (412) 473-0100.
Creative Reuse couldn’t exist without our volunteers. Here’s a sneak peak into the world of our April Volunteer in the Spotlight, Nathan!
Nathan is one of our first fully trained Volunteer Shop Assistants. He helps out in the retail store by assisting customers, processing donations, and using the register! Nathan specifically likes this position because he gets to take donations, meet customers, and reorganize parts of the shop.
Nathan specifically enjoys working with items that he is familiar with, like computer cables, electronics, and some general art supplies. His awesome organizational skills have been put to use in our bulk section, where he sorted all of our electronic cables by function.
Strange things find their way into Creative Reuse all the time. We asked Nathan what his weirdest finds were, and he said, “Finding things from my childhood home that my parents donated was a very surreal experience. There are also tons of odd things like dental tools and human hair wigs. Plus, you never know what cool things you might find in the Bulk Section.”
When asked what he would say to anyone considering volunteering, he said, “It’s worth it. If you are interested in volunteering just sign up, get oriented, and try out a task. There is something for everyone, and the Creative Reuse staff are very supportive. Last but not least, always remember to stay classy and have a very reuseful day!”
If you’d like to follow Nathan’s awesome advice and get to work at Creative Reuse, please go to pccr.org/volunteer for more information. Thank you!