Shop Assistant Internship
The shop at Creative Reuse is a source of both materials and inspiration for creativity. We are constantly working to make our shop a welcoming, beautiful, and vital space for artists, teachers, families, and creative folks of all kinds.
This position will focus on assisting customers at the register and donation desk, processing donated materials, assisting customers with creative project ideas, and keeping the shop organized and tidy.
This position reports to the Shop Manager and interacts with all Creative Reuse team members.
- Exercise your creativity to provide a unique experience for visitors to Creative Reuse
- Develop skills in organization and customer service
- Learn about nonprofit operations
- Collaborate with a creative, hard-working team
- Gain experience in merchandising and retail operations
- Learn about reclaimed materials and reuse projects
- Meet local artists, educators, and nonprofit leaders
- Assist customers at the register and donation desk
- Greet and assist customers and answer questions
- Assist customers with generating creative reuse ideas and with sourcing materials
- Assist with merchandising and display
- Process donated materials
- Keep shop impeccably organized, tidy, clean, and beautiful
- Create signage for the retail floor and ensure signage is kept up to date, appropriate, accessible, friendly, and within the established quirky voice of the Creative Reuse shop
- Assist with keeping communal areas tidy
- Assist Shop Manager with office tasks
- Help with special projects as needed (fundraisers, events, etc.)
- Scheme with the Shop Manager regarding the overall vision and awesomeness of the shop
- Passion for the environment, creativity, and community engagement
- Familiarity and interest in the Pittsburgh art scene, art history, contemporary art, the DIY movement, craft traditions, and creative reuse
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and great multi-tasking abilities
- Excellent people skills – outgoing, personable, and with good humor
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds, and bend, reach, lift, and stand for extended periods
- Great handwriting and interest in fostering sign making skills
- An eye for design, display, and pleasing spacial arrangement
- Cultural competency and ability to work effectively with diverse populations
A perfect candidate for this position is:
- willing to pitch in whenever and however is needed
- professional but also playful
respectful of deadlines and timelines
- cooperative and collaborative
- a self-starter who thrives on working independently
committed to finishing projects swiftly and with quality
- able to maintain a sense of organizational priorities over personal priorities
- unfailingly dependable and honest
- able to easily produce quirky alliteration, puns, and jokes
passionate about educating others about reuse and recycling
- committed to recycling, reuse, and other earth-friendly practices
- passionate about learning new skills
- really, really good at talking to all types of people
To apply for an internship:
- Fill out the application on our website.
- Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
In your cover letter please be sure to tell us which internship(s) you’re interested in, why you’d like to work with us, and how your particular skills, experience, and interests fit with our mission.